07/02/2023 0 Comments
Outdoor Lighting: All your questions answered
As one of Westmeath's most established outdoor lighting providers, we have helped hundreds of clients illuminate everything from their driveways to their back gardens.
For many, picking the correct type of lighting for their property can seem daunting. A quick google search will reveal hundreds of options, with mystifying details like wattage and light spread. With this in mind, it's no surprise that clients have a myriad of questions regarding outdoor lighting. Therefore, to make selecting lighting much easier, we compiled some of the more common questions below. You can read on to learn more about outdoor lighting.
What wire to use for outdoor lighting?
For outdoor lighting, use copper or aluminium electrical wire rated for outdoor use, such as THHN (Thermoplastic High Heat-Resistant Nylon-Coated) or UF-B (Underground Feeder - Branch Circuit) wire. These types of cables are weather-resistant and can withstand harsh outdoor conditions. Additionally, use a wire gauge appropriate for the amperage of the lighting circuit to ensure proper voltage and current levels.
What is the best wattage for outdoor lighting?
The best wattage for outdoor lighting depends on the specific lighting application and the desired brightness level. As a general guideline, you can use light fixtures with wattages ranging from 60 to 100 watts for security lighting and general illumination of walkways or patio areas. For accent lighting of trees, landscaping, or architectural features, you can use lower-wattage bulbs, such as 20 to 40 watts. It's essential to consider the amount of light needed and the size of the area being illuminated.
What is the best material for outdoor lighting fixtures?
The best material for outdoor lighting fixtures depends on the application and desired appearance. However, some common materials that are ideal for outdoor lighting fixtures include:
- Aluminium: Lightweight, durable, and resistant to corrosion.
- Brass: Offers a traditional look and is also durable and resistant to corrosion.
- Stainless Steel: Durable and resistant to corrosion, rust, and fading.
- Glass or Plastic: Can be used to protect the light bulb and enhance the appearance of the fixture.
- Cast Iron: Adds a decorative touch to outdoor spaces and is also durable and resistant to rust and corrosion.
In general, it's essential to choose a weather-resistant material that can withstand harsh outdoor conditions to ensure the long-lasting and reliable performance of lighting fixtures.
How to hide outdoor lighting wires?
There are several ways to hide outdoor lighting wires:
- Burial: Burying the wires underground is one of the most common methods of hiding outdoor lighting wires. This method is best for large properties and new construction projects.
- Wall and Ceiling Mounts: Mounting the lighting fixtures directly to the wall or ceiling and running the wires through the structure can also help hide the wires.
- Surface-mounted conduit: Running the wires in a surface-mounted pipe along the wall or ceiling is another option. This method can also be used to protect the cables from damage.
- Wire Raceways: Another option is to use wire raceways, which are specially designed to hold and hide electrical wires.
- Landscaping: Planting shrubs or installing decorative screens around the lighting fixtures can help hide the wires and create a more aesthetically pleasing look.
Regardless of the method used, follow local building codes and safety regulations when installing outdoor lighting and hiding the wires.
Have we answered all your outdoor lighting questions? No, then please get in touch with us now. Our expert team can answer all your enquires and recommend the best products for the unique needs of your property.